Monday, April 12, 2010

The Best Years of our Lives (1946)


So I have to retract my 'I'm an awesome guesser' statement (see entry below). I assumed from the title that this movie would be a wishy washy 'It's a Wonderful Life' type but I was pretty wrong. I didn't read the sleeve of the movie beforehand so I just put it in the DVD player and was hoping I'd be entertained for the next few hours, and I was...smiley face.

This movie follows 3 men returning from WWII. This is not a war movie. It's a post-war movie. One man is pretty much an alcoholic. One man comes home to his slutty/materialistic wife. The other lost both of this hands in the war and is a real sweet heart. All 3 men have to adjust to coming back home and dealing with the fact that pretty much everyone in their town has no idea what the war experience was actually like.

It's a very easy to follow movie and the characters are pretty much all very likable. I think it's a realistic portrayal of what being a war veteran must have been like in those days. I definitely recommend it just for seeing the psychology of these men. Some of the story lines are silly but you can just fast forward through them (the main one I'm referring to is the annoying daughter of the Sargent's love for the married Captain). I didn't actually fast forward through anything but I just want to give you a heads up.

No comments:

Post a Comment