Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Big Sleep (1946)


I don't mean to be an ass but I have yet to see a movie that I really feel like I've missed out in life for not seeing (Annie Hall does not count). The Big Sleep (aka the movie that put me to sleep TWICE) is NO exception. Now while I have not adored some of the other movies I've seen, I have been able to follow the story line in all of them. The Big Sleep is THE exception. You have to have a major in English to understand wtf they are talking about! Oh wait! I HAVE A MAJOR IN ENGLISH. Maybe you need a PhD to understand. I think my Brecht classes made more sense and Brecht's not even supposed to make sense.

So there's this Detective working for this guy with 2 daughters who are wild childs. The detective is hired to figure out...that's where I stopped understanding the plot line (so I basically understood half of the opening scene). This is one of those films where:

A) The dialogue is spoken so quickly and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be witty and raunchy, but I didn't get it. For me it was just painful and murky.

B) There are about 20 characters that people talk about but you never actually see the character so you have to keep up with all of this names in your head and frankly I need a FACE...and a DEAD BODY doesn't count.

C) The detective kills people! I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to do that....??

I started watching this movie with Rachel and at 9:30 it had literally put me to the big sleep. Never have I rested so well.

A WEEK LATER I finally decided to finish the rest, and there were about 3 times I wanted to go to bed but I knew that I had to finish.

Anyways I recommend this film if you have bouts of insomnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment