Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

I am watching my first top 100 film. I am loving life. I've seen the Disney version of Robin Hood many times, so I've pretty much already memorized the story. Basically a bunch of forest animals are helping a fox steal some gold coins so he can run away with this foxey fox and save the rain forest, right?

Huh?

I am immediately turned on to the scenery of the movie. Very medieval Sleeping Beauty-esque (maybe I watch too many Disney movies??) I am caught off guard when I see that there are no foxes or bears but actual human actors! Did the producers do their research right?

So out comes a strapping young man in green tights, our hero, SIR ROBIN HOOD! Woah, I'm temporarily distracted because that Robin Hood is hawtttt, dayumm. My mind races and I have to pull out my iphone to do some wikiing. Perhaps Robin Hood aka Errol Flynn is still alive, happens to live in NY, and needs a new Maid Marion (I could SO be her!!)

Errol Flynn: Errol Leslie Flynn (20 June 1909[1] – 14 October 1959) DAMNIT, all the good ones are dead. That's okay though because I can still pretend like he was my soul mate from another life. I read on "At the age of 20 he moved to New Guinea where he bought a tobacco plantation, a business which failed. A copper mining venture in the hills near the Laloki Valley, behind the present national capital, Port Moresby, also failed." Well you have to admire a man for trying! I mean he eventually became an actor, a LEADING actor. His failures are probably what made him succeed in the end, right? "Flynn had a reputation for his womanizing, consumption of alcohol and brawling. His freewheeling, hedonistic lifestyle caught up with him in November 1942 when two under-age girls, Betty Hansen and Peggy Satterlee, accused him of statutory rape." Did not see that coming...wow I have really bad taste in actors apparently. I mean he looked so sweet, I know he wasn't acting!...

So now I have to watch this movie with swirling thoughts of alcoholism, womanizing and such. I guess he's probably no different than any other actor. Frowny face.

I'm pleasantly surprised that I do know one actress in the film. The very pretty Olivia de Havilland who was in 'Gone with the Wind' and a bunch of other movies that I can't think of now, or ever...awkward silence. I do a little wiki on her and find out she was 22 in this movie. Great, I feel so unaccomplished now.

The movie is wonderful in every way. The costumes are beautiful. The battles are awesome! Seriously did they have stunt doubles back then? I mean ol' alkie Robin is doing all sort of crazy tricks and it's quite amazing. Marion just kind of hangs out but she's so pretty that I don't really blame her. Robin and Marion fall in love after like 5 seconds. It's fantastic.

My favorite scene is when King Richard finally makes an appearance disguised as a priest, rips off his cloak, and declares he's going to kick his baby bro's Norman ass. If you don't know what a Norman is...well don't ask me any details, but I do know they don't like the Saxons... I think it all has to do with English history or that Dungeons and Dragons game. You decide.

Well I don't think a review for Robin Hood has ever been delivered so eloquently.

Now onto..."All About Eve"...who I actually know nothing about...(second on list is really The African Queen but NetFlix says I have to wait until 3/23 for it to come out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment