Friday, March 26, 2010

The African Queen (1951)


Update: I finally got the DVD player to work! I think a wire was loose?? No, not in my head but an actual electric wire. Well most likely my head too...


I was very happy to have some other stupid person to watch the movie with this time around. Not just any stupid person, but my partner in crime in stupidity: my wife, Rachel. She's a good person to watch a movie with because most of the time we have no idea what's going on and we are comfortable enough with each other to ask really dumb questions.


First dumb question "Is that Humphrey Bogart? I swear he was hotter." Things then went from silly to downright idiotic when literally towards the very end of the movie I finally realized that it was the name of the ship that was "The African Queen" and not just some hot African cross-dresser they would meet later.


GREAT, GREAT MOVIE! It's a love story on one hand, but it's also got like a 'Heart of Darkness' theme going on. The dialogue is between two characters for almost the entire film and oddly it doesn't grow tiring (and I swear half of the dialgogue is Katharine Hepburn saying "MR. ALLNUT".)


The two characters transform into awesome people that even I would want to hang out with by the end of the film.Rosie teaches Charlie that sobriety won't kill him, he teaches her that being more adventurous won't kill her. By the end of the movie, there is so much love you just want to hug someone.


My favorite part is the very very last scene where Rosie and Charlie have just escaped their deaths after being wed by a German officer. Being completely romanticly jaded I figure Charlie would just make a swim towards land forgetting ol' Rosie in the sea but in the corniness of the times they actually are excited to spend the rest of their days together and swim back together.


Oh Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment