Sunday, March 21, 2010

All About Eve (1950)


It took me a while to get around to watching #2 movie, All About Eve. I ended up seeing the movie at approximately 3:30 in the morning while eating half-cooked tortellini. This combination I do not recommend.

Bette. Davis.

Sigh. I see that name and I immediately hear "She's got Bette Davis eyes" and I think of one of the scariest movies I saw growing up: Whatever happened to Baby Jane? This combination I do not recommend. Eek!

Basically Bette Davis scares the crap out of me. She plays the part of an aging alcoholic a little too well. On the other hand I heart Bette Davis. She's so real and shrill. She gets you excited for becoming a nut job.

The story line is a woman's nightmare. The insecurity of getting older and the paranoia that hot thangs can easily replace you. The young hot thang, Miss Eve Harrington, is played by Anne Baxter. She is pretty annoying and talks really slow. Blahhh Blahhh Blahhh. Turns out she's a bit of a psycho too. You pretty much have to be to get in Bette Davis's way.

Best part of movie, Margo's (Bette) birthday party for her man, her utter drunkeness and bossing people around. I can't say I haven't been there. "Play the song another time" "But you're putting everyone to sleep and we've already played it 3 times" "Well we can hear it a fourth time."

Brillant.


3 comments:

  1. Do you recommend it for someone with a short attention span?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it's really fun!!! bette davis is hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watched it! You are right Anne Baxter is annoying. Both as a nice person and as the villain.

    ReplyDelete